SPRINGVILLE—A snow fence has secured the property at 37 S. Central Ave., and shrubbery has been trimmed back, but the fate of the distressed property is still a matter of the court. The fence was installed Aug. 23, and property owner Steve Weber was on site clearing bushes in front of the building.
The work, however, means little to the Village of Springville.
“What he is doing … is not in agreement with the village,” Springville Attorney Paul Weiss said. “It’s good there’s a fence, that’s great … maybe Mr. Weber is demonstrating good will for the judge.”
Back in June, the Village Board of Trustees voted to demolish the building on the property.
There were “opportunities” provided to Weber if he chose to “avail himself,” Weiss said. The village’s main concern, according to Weiss, is that the building is still a public safety hazard.
“Mr. Weber has a long history of saying things and not following through,” he said. “Our position is that the building should be demolished.”
The resolution passed gave Weber 7 days from June 18 to produce a performance bond no less than $60,000 and have a professional structural engineer certify the building can be made structurally safe. He had two weeks to put temporary support structures in the building and secure the worksite. All nine issues, which include structural support and electrical, need to be addressed by Sept. 1 and the owner must comply with village code 77-3 by Oct. 1, by having tenants in the building.
Weber did not meet those requirements, and obtained legal counsel in July. He ordered a temporary restraining order on the village – essentially blocking the village from moving forward with the demolition process. Following the issuing of the restraining order, Mayor William Krebs said the village is complying with the order. Last week, he said he couldn’t comment on the matter because it’s in litigation.
An Aug. 9 court hearing was postponed following an amended petition by Weber’s attorney. The matter is expected to return to court on Sept. 6.
The June public hearing was the final step the village needed to take before moving forward with the demolition process. The village had been contacting Weber since 2016 to take care of his property.
Earlier this year, Code Enforcement Officer Mike Kaleta said the structures on the property – which include a home and garage – were “unsafe, unhealthy and a nuisance.” The property was added to the village’s distressed property list. An engineer from Encorus Group toured the property with Kaleta and agreed with his assessment. The village had contacted Weber multiple times over the course of two years.
At the June 18 public hearing, Weber assure the board he’d fix the property, saying he’d make the village “proud.”
Members of the board, however, expressed their doubt. Trustees Nils Wikman and Alan Chamberlain both said the building has been an eyesore for years, and noted there hasn’t been any visible updates made in over two decades.
“I’ve lived here since ‘91 there hasn’t been a coat of paint on that building since then … that property has been an eyesore for a long time,” Chamberlain said in June.
Weber refused to provide comment for this story.